Sisters of Mercy
Health Ministry in the Adirondacks
One hundred years ago, two Sisters of Mercy, Mother Mary Perpetual Help Kiernan and Sr. Mary McAuley Connelly, stepped off a lumber train at Gabriels, New York. Their mission was to start a tuberculosis hospital at the request of the Bishop of Ogdensburg. To the medical precepts of Dr. Edward Trudeau, the Sisters added the healing ministry of spirituality with their presence and example. Thus was founded Sanatorium Gabriels, which operated for the next 70 years.
In 1918, again the Sisters were asked to help the North Country. A hospital was needed in Tupper Lake. The owners of Oval Wood Dish Company were very much concerned that in case of injury, their workers had to be transported by train to Utica. The Sisters from Gabriels agreed to take on the task, and established Mercy General Hospital, converting a frame house into a 15 bed cottage hospital. In 1929, the new hospital was built through local benefactors. In 1983, a new wing was added, increasing capacity to 80 beds, and including diagnosis and treatment center. In that year the hospital became dedicated to chronic and long term care and was renamed Mercy Healthcare Center.
In 1964, back at Sanatorium Gabriels, the focus of care was changing from tuberculosis to the care of the frail elderly. The mission of the Sisters of Mercy embraced the need for skilled long term care. The administrator, Sr. M. Michele, investigated alternate sites for a nursing home. Unable to purchase existing buildings, land was donated by Henry Uihlein. With substantial support from many Lake Placid benefactors, including Mr. and Mrs. Uihlein, Mrs. W. Alton Jones, Kate Smith, and the Reiss Family, Uihlein Mercy Center opened its doors in 1968.
Building on this heritage, Mercy Uihlein Health Corporation developed its ministry of health care in the Tri-Lakes community to include:
- Ministry of long term care services to frail elderly and others with chronic illness
- Demonstrating special concern for persons and families who are poor
- Working in close collaboration with other organizations who share a commitment to meeting the needs of persons requiring chronic health services
On January 1, 2007, sponsorship of the two nursing homes officially transferred to Adirondack Medical Center. Henceforth, the two facilities were renamed in recognition of their rich heritage and tradition of caring: AMC-Mercy and AMC Uihlein.
As for the future, an ambitious and expansive rehabilitation plan is in the works, and will eventually allow AMC to offer expanded rehabilitative and renal dialysis services, as well as private resident rooms.
||AMC is accredited by the Joint Commission. Click here to view the Joint Commission Public Notice.
||AMC is accredited by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program.
||Adirondack Medical Center's Bariatric Program and Dr. Michael Hill have been designated as a Center of Excellence by the American Society for Bariatric Surgery.